Saturday 23 January 2016

SOUTH INDIAN FOOD



Food is love!  Here in India it is also compassion.  Being vegetarian is not a fad here.  It's been a way of life for Hindus for thousands of years and since their  population is near a billion it is proof that you can thrive on a veg diet .  A favorite food in the south is the Dosa; a lentil and rice crepe that is thin and crispy and usually stuffed with some spicy veg mix.

We all helped Sitara eat the Paper Dosa.

The other special food is the Idly; the same batter as the dosa but left to rise at room temperature it forms a sour dough that is then steamed.




My favorite fusion breakfasts:
Idly with Nutella and coconut chutney

rice with peanut butter and coconut chutney. Those black dots are pepper corns.
This was one of my first breakfasts... I hesitated before I took this into my hands.  Oh did I mention no utensils, eat with your right hand... The green chutney was actually very good, it had a light minty taste.

Now these are lunches and dinners with chutneys and sambars



I have decided I don't like eating wet rice with my fingers.  I  am using a spoon...The food is tasty and all vegan.   








   
I eat all my meals on campus except when traveling which made eating out with staff something special today.

EATING OUT WITH STAFF in Tenkasi

we are sitting at separate tables facing each other so we can talk and the server can easily  serve us more food every few minutes.  All you can eat with service!

  Yes, that is a disposable, biodegradable banana leaf plate on a teak table. I was also offered a spoon midway thru the meal. 

The good news is: I enjoy the food, the spice and have not suffered any illness so far.  I am taking Canadian probiotics daily...

I leave you with this quote that put a smile on my Christian face.
 "There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment